Dental Crowns Could Be the Solution to Restoring Your Smile
If you have severely decayed or cracked teeth and are looking for an effective restoration solution, dental crowns could be your answer. This treatment is offered at Green Tree Dental in Chicago, IL.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a type of dental restoration that is fitted onto a tooth to restore its function and/or appearance. Because it completely covers the tooth, a crown is also commonly known as a cap. It can be used to treat a large cavity that threatens the health of a tooth when a filling is not a sufficient treatment or to hold together a tooth that is fractured and at risk of breaking. Crowns can be made from many different materials and are usually bonded to a tooth using dental cement.
Types of dental crowns
The type of dental crown used will depend on the reason why it is being placed. Your dentist will consider your needs and preferences when recommending the material used.
- Full porcelain: made of zirconium or aluminum-oxide to produce a natural-looking crown
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: also known as a “full cast” crown, these are made with metal alloys, then have porcelain fused to the surface. As a result, they are strong but have a natural-looking appearance.
- All-metal: made entirely out of alloys, such as gold. These are generally the longest-lasting crowns, but because they do not produce the most attractive restoration, they are usually only used to restore the back teeth.
Are dental crowns the right solution for me?
A dental crown may be the solution for you if you have:
- A severely decayed tooth
- A cracked tooth or teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Badly discolored or stained teeth
- A dental implant in need of a prosthetic
Benefits of dental crowns
- Effective protection against tooth decay
- Restores ability to speak and chew
- Can look and feel natural
- Long-lasting, durable solution
If you are ready for an effective solution for damaged teeth and would like to restore the look and function of your smile, make an appointment at Green Tree Dental to learn more about dental crowns in Chicago, IL.